The current Blaise House dates from 1796-1798 and stands on the site of the previous Blaise House.
The House is now owned by Bristol City Council and is currently used as a museum and wedding venue.
The picture room was added between 1832 and 1833, and has been restored to its former glory its walls decorated with a sumptuous red flock paper and hung with pictures from the fine art collections from artists William James Müller, James Curnock, Charles Branwhite, James Baker Pyne and Henry Hewitt.
Adjoining the house is the dairy garden which contains an amphitheater which can be used for outdoor events.
The dairy garden was once the site of the original manor house. It was demolished after 1798 when Blaise Castle House was completed.
The planting designs in the garden have evolved over time. What’s here today includes plants and shrubs that would likely have been known and used at the time the house was built and the estate was landscaped.
The amphitheatre was created as part of a Heritage Lottery Fund project in 1999 which saw many areas of the estate restored and redeveloped.
The orangery is between the house and dairy garden. It was built to a design by John Nash in 1806, and is different to the design originally proposed by Humphry Repton. Today it’s filled with hothouse plants, which were purchased by the Friends of Blaise.
Behind the orangery is a large laundry room, and beyond that is the service wing for the house. The siting of the orangery was designed to hide the more modest parts of the house from view, so that the family and their guests could enjoy the gardens.
The dairy was built in 1803-5 and is a Grade II* listed building. Designed by fashionable architect John Nash, the cottage style is similar to the cottages in Blaise Hamlet.
The dairy provided butter and possibly cheese for the house. Cows and sheep were grazed on the estate and it’s likely that the milk of both was used in the dairy.
It’s been suggested that the decorative appearance of the dairy means that it was intended more as a fashionable amusement for its wealthy owners, than as a working dairy. However, the building has many of the practical features which were recommended at the time for a dairy – and in some respects was progressive.